Friday, January 10, 2014

The Interweb strikes again


I have been prevented from posting to my own blog, my own blog, by a gecko. That’s what the message said, the message that kept popping up in the middle of my screen like a demented meerkat. Something about compiling errors and 8 geckos…Certainly I have compiled plenty of errors in my life but geckos? So I was obliged to bring the machine to the Computer Clinic for Virally Transmitted Diseases and Geckos. 


The Doctor didn’t wear a white coat, was very colourful not to say floral in dress and was born in hotter climes than mine. “Your computah requires much, much healing” he said. (His exact words. He was obviously taking the doctor thing seriously.) I asked how long it would take to get sorted. I had to trust someone with the blog stuff, otherwise how could I get it fixed? Who better than a professional IT person…


 “Come back this afternoon aftah lunch Ma’am – about three o’clock” he said. (Ma’am?).  While I had waited for him to power up the machine and reach a diagnosis (10 bloody minutes) I looked at our surroundings; the Clinic was decorated with colourful Biblical drawings, and little framed sayings e.g. “The end is near.”  “Rejoice, the righteous shall see the face of God soon”. Well, hopefully not too soon. Or at least not till I get my laptop back. The place was giving me the heebie-jeebies, although the shopkeeper wasn’t. He seemed like a very nice man. He was obviously a man of deep religious conviction too. “How much?  I asked.  The price equalled four bottles of good wine or 8 ½ bottles of cheap stuff. Ok. I came back at the appointed hour to find the place shut and shuttered. Decided to wait for a while. After all, I use the laptop for work as well…This is important…Where is he…


As I stood outside the shop in uncertainty a workman who was painting the shop front next door stood up from his task and spoke to me. “I would not leave anything in there” he said. “That place is closing. The guy who runs the shop is leaving. I know the landlord of all these shops”.  Me laptop! Me secrets!


The ‘phone number was on the shop sign so I rang it. A few times. Eventually he answered. Eventually he turned up. We exchanged money and machine. So now I’m back in action. No geckos. The world hasn't ended yet either. Result. 


No comments:

Post a Comment