Saturday, May 10, 2014

Stand up - and be counted...


Stand up and be counted…
Probably because I find it difficult to say no, I agreed to do something for a literary event to celebrate a bike show coming to Dublin. Which is how I came to be standing in front of a lunch time  audience yesterday, with a 4-Solpadeine hangover,  dressed in cycling gear, wondering what the hell I was doing there and hoping I would remember my lines. Miraculously, I did (well most of them) and it went very well. Very well indeed. In other words, the audience laughed.  Afterwards as I was running out the door to the day job, the Director of the event ran after me – to congratulate me. Said  I was brilliant…Then a woman I know approached me- to tell me how well I did, how low she was, how she was on medication, how she appeared all jolly on the outside but inside was a different matter. I know that mask. I wear it too, at times. I knew her to be widowed 2 ½ years, have children and grandchildren, her situation completely different to mine. She needed to make changes in her life, she said, has yearned to move back to Dublin from the crystal chandeliered mini palace down the country. But she won’t settle for what I know I will have to; a small terraced house somewhere, I don’t yet know where… I know her to be a tough cookie, a very tough cookie who upset a lot of people, including me.  Sometimes we are our own worst enemies. Regardless of previous behaviour, my heart went out to her.  She said she’d be up in Dublin again in a week and would like to come to the writing circle...

I went  to work. Realized I’d forgotten to bring office clothes. Explained the situation to the powers that be, and spent the rest of the day in fluorescent orange and pink cycling shorts and pink sneakers…Luckily I remembered to take the bicycle lamp off my head.


Supper was non-alcoholic cocoa and toast. I think I finally fell asleep in a cocoa-induced haze at 4 a.m. That’s ok. Today put another brick in the self-esteem wall. What could be better than making people smile, laugh, feel better, even for a moment? Don’t we all love that, need that sometimes?  I’m giving myself an A for today and not dwelling on the mistakes I’ve made in life. J

No comments:

Post a Comment