Friday, July 5, 2013

Headline: Domestic Goddess topples off her plinth...

I achieved the impossible yesterday. I burnt  spaghetti, even though the spaghetti strands were put into a pot containing  boiling water with a little extra virgin olive oil added for slipperiness and left to bubble away on the stove. When I drained the pasta, a lot of the strings were brown as well as rubbery. My dinner looked like a pile of old twine. :( 

I had smelt burning, but assumed the neighbours were burning toast or something. How can anything burn when it's in a pot of boiling water? Is this new physics?

While I was trying to pick the least worst out of the heap, the man who was laying carpet on the stairs knocked and came in. "You burnt spaghetti? How did you manage to burn spaghetti?", he asked without a bye-your-leave and insultingly incredulously if you ask me. "You must have gone to the same cookery school as my wife. She can burn a salad".

I then cememted ny reputation as a Domestic Goddess gone bad; I picked up the wrong packet and put  fish food into the washing machine inlet. Thank God I didn't make it as far as the pond with the washing powder.

I came back into the kitchen to find the Prince of Darkness had loaded the machine with his clothes and turned it on. I said nothing.  The machine was already filling with water - too late to do anyhting- and besides, I was afraid he'd accuse me of doing it deliberately to ruin his clothes.

Later on, I watched through the window as he hung his clothes on the washing line. He was sniffing them suspiciously. I waited for the comments when he came in from the garden. "That washing machine needs cleaning" he said.  "Yes" I agreed. "I'll run an empty cycle with  the Calgon and bleach tomorrow." Wonder what the smell will be like when he applies a hot iron to his shirts...oh my :)

No comments:

Post a Comment