Tuesday, July 2, 2013

What goes around comes around...and around...and around...and around...


Week 11

What goes around comes around …and around…and around…and around…

I received a communication from the Solicitor stating that the first document had been received back from the other solicitor and that all appeared to be in order. Whoopee. Next up; I will receive a typed copy of the Affidavit of Means I had so laboriously filled up by hand, including apportionments of utility bills etc. etc., what film I last went to see and what I order from the Chinese Takeaway every Friday. (Special Malaysian Dry Curry; I know Malaysia isn’t in China but that’s what it’s called). I am to review this, sign it and return it to Solicitor for the Applicant to be checked. It will then be forwarded to Solicitor for the Respondent who will review it then forward it to the Respondent who will review and…and I need to lie down in a darkened room.

At the original consultation I had been told we should be before the Court in six months approx. – at this rate it’ll be six years. But due process must be observed so this has to be the way of it. Nothing to be done except keep on keeping on. So I’m doing my best to do just that, in between monsoons.

Oh yeah, also included in the envelope; an estimate of the cost to me, which is two and a half times the verbal figure (“plus any extra costs incurred”) given at the first consultation – and it includes “a discount”. ???

The Estimate lists such activities as photocopying, emailing, land searches- why? I had given the title deeds of the house to my solicitor as requested. No need for any searches. I feel very uncomfortable about some one else, any else, having the deeds to the house. The solicitor had said they would be kept in trust for both parties. But we were happy to keep them safely ourselves. I hate this feeling that I am giving control of my life to a solicitor. He wasn’t happy either to leave the deeds in a lawyer’s office. With all the stuff about corrupt solicitors etc. embezzling client funds and re-mortgaging client’s houses, he has very negative views on trust. I don’t see the need for it either. I really hate this feeling that a lawyer now has control of my house deeds as well as knowing what I had for breakfast. My privacy is gone.

I showed him the estimate and asked how much his guy was charging. He didn’t know. Hadn’t thought to ask and hadn’t been told. It should be less than my invoice; his guy has less work to do. But will it actually turn out that way? For God’s sake, will you find out, I said. So he did.

New calculation; at the rate the Legal Two charge for every telephone call, email, letter, etc. it would be cheaper for me to study for a law degree and do it myself. I’d probably accomplish it within the same timescale as well, at the rate we’re going. We’d save the conveyancing costs on the house sale too. But what can we do? We’ve committed ourselves. Have to just keep going.

Ok. Think positive. What is today’s affirmation? Oh yes. “Everything is happening perfectly for my highest good”. And the good of the solicitors’ bank accounts…

No comments:

Post a Comment